I spent Christmas Eve crying in a Walmart parking lot. Not because I'm dramatic. Because I had seventeen dollars to my name and a list of gifts I couldn't buy. My daughter Lily was six years old. She still believed in Santa. And Santa was about to let her down because his real-world alias couldn't get his act together.
My name's Marcus. I'm thirty-four. Single dad. Full-time cashier at a hardware store. Part-time failure at everything else.
The divorce cleaned me out two years ago. Not because my ex took everything. Because lawyers are expensive and hearts are cheap. I got Lily every other weekend. That was the deal. But Christmas was mine this year. Her mom had her for Thanksgiving. I had December 25th. And I had absolutely nothing to put under the tree.
I'd been saving for months. Twenty bucks here, ten bucks there. But then Lily got sick. Then my car needed a new battery. Then my hours got cut because January is slow for hammers and nails. By December 23rd, I had seventy-three dollars. By December 24th, after gas and groceries for Christmas dinner, I had seventeen.
Seventeen dollars. At Walmart. On Christmas Eve.
I walked the toy aisle for an hour. Picked up a doll. Put it back. Picked up a coloring book. Put it back. Everything cost more than seventeen dollars. Everything. Even the clearance stuff was nineteen ninety-nine. I sat down right there on the floor, between the Lego sets and the stuffed unicorns, and I cried. A grown man in a flannel shirt, sobbing in the toy section. A teenager working a price scanner looked at me like I was a ghost.
I left the store. Sat in my car. Stared at the steering wheel.
That's when I pulled out my phone. Not for any reason. Just to hide from the world for a minute. I opened an old email. A promotion from a site I'd signed up for last summer during a particularly lonely week. I'd never used it. Never deposited. Just created an account and forgot about it. The email said something about a holiday bonus. Free spins. No deposit needed.
I almost deleted it. Seventeen dollars and I'm gonna play online slots? That's the kind of decision that ruins people. But then I thought about Lily. About her face Christmas morning. About the way she'd try to smile even if Santa forgot her. I couldn't do that to her. I couldn't.
I typed in the address. The page asked for my email and password. I typed them in with shaking fingers.
vavada login — the button was red and green for the holidays. Cute. I clicked it.
My account opened. Zero balance. But a little gift box icon was blinking in the corner. I clicked it. "Merry Christmas! 30 free spins waiting for you." No deposit. No catch. Just thirty spins on a game called "Santa's Riches." Very on brand.
I laughed. The kind of laugh that's half sob. Then I started spinning.
The first ten spins were garbage. Pennies. I almost threw my phone across the parking lot. Spin twelve gave me two dollars. Spin fifteen gave me four. I was up to maybe nine bucks total. Still not a doll. Still not a coloring book. Still nothing.
Then spin twenty hit.
The screen changed. The little Santa character started dancing. Presents started flying across the screen. A bonus round triggered. Then another. The counter on my balance started moving. Nine dollars became twenty-two. Twenty-two became forty-eight. Forty-eight became seventy-nine.
I sat up. Wiped my face with my sleeve. Seventy-nine dollars. That was a doll. That was a unicorn. That was something.
But the spins kept going. Spin twenty-three triggered another bonus. Seventy-nine became one hundred fourteen. Spin twenty-six? Another match. One hundred fourteen became one hundred fifty-eight. I stopped breathing. My hands were shaking so bad I could barely hold the phone.
Spin twenty-nine. Last one. The reels spun. Slowed. Stopped. For a second, nothing happened. Then the screen exploded. Santa threw gifts everywhere. Multipliers stacked on top of multipliers. The counter jumped from one hundred fifty-eight to two hundred three. Then to two hundred forty-one. Then to two hundred eighty-six.
Final balance: two hundred and eighty-six dollars.
I stared at the screen. Then I stared at the Walmart. Then I hit "withdraw" so fast I think I broke a world record. The request went through. "Processing." I sat in my car for an hour, refreshing every few minutes, waiting for the other shoe to drop. It didn't.
The money cleared at 9 PM on Christmas Eve. Two hundred and eighty-six dollars. I ran back into Walmart like a man possessed. Grabbed the doll Lily had been pointing at for months. Thirty-two dollars. Grabbed a unicorn pillow pet. Twenty bucks. Grabbed a princess dress-up kit. Twenty-five. Grabbed art supplies, a puzzle, a stuffed cat that looked like the one she drew on every piece of paper. I filled the cart. Checked out at 9:47 PM. The cashier wished me a merry Christmas. I almost cried again.
I wrapped everything in newspaper because I didn't have wrapping paper. Used duct tape because I didn't have Scotch tape. It looked terrible. It looked like a mess. But under the tree, it looked like magic.
Lily woke me up at 6 AM. "Daddy! Daddy! Santa came!" She tore through those newspaper-wrapped packages like a tiny hurricane. The doll. The unicorn. The dress-up kit. She screamed for each one. Screamed. Pure joy. The kind of joy that makes every bad decision worth it.
She hugged me so tight I thought my ribs might crack. "This is the best Christmas ever," she said.
I didn't tell her where the presents came from. Not really. "Santa had some help," I said. She didn't ask questions. She was six. She just wanted to play.
I sat on the floor that morning, drinking coffee from a chipped mug, watching my daughter try on every piece of that princess dress-up kit. And I thought about the Walmart parking lot. The tears. The seventeen dollars. The moment I typed in my vavada login instead of driving home empty-handed.
I still have that account. I still check it sometimes. But I have rules now. Hard rules. Never deposit. Only free spins. Only promotions. Only money that isn't mine to begin with. And every time I win something—even ten bucks, even five—I put it in a jar. The "Lily jar." For emergencies. For birthdays. For Christmas.
That was two years ago. Lily is eight now. She knows Santa isn't real. I told her last spring. She took it better than I expected. But she still believes in something else. She believes that her dad will always figure it out. That no matter how bad things get, Christmas morning will have presents.
She doesn't know about the vavada login. About the free spins. About the crying in the Walmart parking lot. She doesn't need to know. Some magic is better left unexplained.
But I know. I know that sometimes, when you're at your absolute lowest, when you've got seventeen dollars and a broken heart, the universe throws you a bone. That night, the bone came with thirty free spins and a dancing Santa. And I caught it. Barely. But I caught it.
Best Christmas ever. No question.
|
|
